The wildlife pays a visit to Concise 2

The sea is black with the milky way over head and big black clouds on the horizon while the pink kite sails us on. I am driving and trying my utmost best to make the boat sail down the messy sea while the boat whobbles in the breeze that is trying to die down as dawn approachs. Suddenly I got a warm splat on my hand and then next to me on the sail lying on the deck. I jumped and it started to smell very fishy. It was not a flying fish but a bird that had come to say hello. After several attempts the bird landed on the spredder. I think it was a Nody bird, they love to sit on boats at night time and enjoy the ride. We havent seen much wild life recently at all except for the flying fish and some birds when we sailed past Fernando de Noronha 3 days ago. Fernando de Noronha is a group of rocks off the buldge of South America this was the first mark of the course for the Global Ocean Race. I cant believe that it was 4 years ago that we sailed around those rocks and headed to Cape Town for the first stop over. Thankfully this time we are going to be stopping in Brazil on the TJV.
Later today we will have less than a 1000nm to the finish in Itajai. This is goig to be another mile stone for this race. Our bodies are begining to take their toll now. My hands are peeling as the skin sheds off in layers, our bums hurt from being salty for days and the sun is being to get the best of us. It is hot now and its tricky to eat enough to keep ourselves going. We still have a fair way to go so we must keep sleeping, eating and maintaining Concise 2.
Yesterday morning as the sun rose I saided under a big black cloud. I was not sure what it was going to do but there was a shift and the wind increased to 22knots. Almost instantly we were flying. Gennaker, stay sail and full main stacked aft and no ballast we took off.This is the most fun I have had all race. we were sailing at a true wind angle of 110 and doing 14knots and surfing faster, jumping from one wave to the next. The wind increased and stayed with us all morning. in the afternoon we flew the small spinaker and then it was time to get our pink spinaker out again. Pip had sown it back together and we just held our breaths as we opened up the sock.There it was all in one piece. Pip had done a great job! We were a bit nervous last night of blowing it up so went to the gennaker for a while. Unfortunately we lost so valueable miles here as a green mast head light followed us for ages and when the sun rose we thought that it may be a Class 40. On the position report we have noted that it is Group Setin. 4400nm of sailing and we can still see our competitors. What an amazing race this race and Class is. The pink spinaker has been back up since well before sunrise.
We thought that we may finish today when we loaded the boat, 25 days at sea. We were wrong as we are still out here. We loaded 25 days of food, water, gas, diesel and all the essential items. As we have been doing lots of driving our diesel is going to be tight but just fine. Food and water we have lots of left but the gas we are a bit short on. We have one bottle left in the spares bag so we have been rationing tea and cooking together.
We are pushing hard as we have Setin and SNBSN so close to us. We have to becareful with our sail choices and keep our pink spinaker in tact all the way to the finish line….
Here is a peom my Mum wrote for us a few days ago:

Did you stop to think

When the colour pink

Made you go crazy

But you weren’t lazy

When it needed a stitch

What a pity, such a glitch

Stitch and glue, stitch and glue

You know who

Not so much fun

But had to be done

Lets hope it holds

In between the folds

Until the race end

At Itajai my friend

Will it pay

I cannot say

To creep up the shore

What’s in store?

Or out to sea

Or in the lea?

We wish you luck

The wind will suck

You along, along, along!

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply